Saturday, October 17, 2015

A Simple Message

Today I watched the sun rise alongside bird song. It is hard to capture the light inching across the ribs of clouds that line the sky. One minute it is just a blush in the east and before you know it the light reaches everywhere you look. It reminds me of autumn trees. Just a few weeks ago the leaves here had hardly turned. There's a red maple we pass on the drive to school and every day I point it out to the kids--telling them to notice its beauty every day because once it turns it doesn't last long before they leave the tree barren. Phoenix asked me why she should be looking at the trees and I told her because as her mom I feel it is my job to teach her how to see the beauty in the world every day, in even the simplest of things like a tree in a ditch beside a parking lot. To me that is one of the most important life skills I can teach them--being able to appreciate the simple beauty that surrounds them so they grow up contented and able to see the light side of things no matter the struggles they face. And because I want them to be able to be satisfied in this world that people often tend to over-complicate. I get a lot of advice-seeking messages from people who are struggling with hard times and always I point out their positive traits to remind them of their strength and their beauty. It's in you at all times so how could we not get through. Wherever you are, whoever you are--the sun is up and the trees that just a week ago were full are halfway barren. You will get through before you know it.

1 comment: