Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Turn It Up

I'm in love with this song by The Head and The Heart titled Lost In My Mind

There are certain songs that I hear with my head and my heart (as this band is aptly named), songs that stir my chest, that render me unable to sit still. This is one of them. Every time in my life where I have found myself in some sort of rut, just going through the motions, I find that I had not been listening intently to music. And when this realization comes I start devouring music again, start dancing through the day, start singing the songs that stick while standing in check-out lines and short or long walks. The kids and I play it loud too. I'm that car that you'll pull up next to at a stoplight and hear the beats tumbling through your unopened window. If you were to look to the source of that sound you would see me and two kids smiling and singing and car dancing. Phoenix's most common phrase whilst driving around town is "turn it up!" They start singing the songs before they start, so in tune with the CDs that find a home in my player. I've never been the parent that plays kiddie-type songs--they'll hear enough of that at story time and school. We listen to the good stuff. Fisher knows most of the lyrics to Arcade Fire albums, Phoenix usually requests Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Beck's Guero album is among their favorites. And don't get me started on their sweet dance moves...

No comments:

Post a Comment