Monday, February 10, 2014

A Poem On A Monday

I shed a lot of tears yesterday--not because I was sad, but because my heart felt so full and so thankful and I was simply overwhelmed with the feel of it. It was as if the universe bloomed there. I always imagined to love someone was to to feel encapsulated--a box in your chest. But having met Matt, I feel only expansion. Too vast to name. All I can say is that I feel incredibly lucky. And I can think of no other poet than the passionate Pablo Neruda who can give words to that feeling...

Always

Facing you
I am not jealous.

Come with a man
at your back,
come with a hundred men in your hair,
come with a thousand men between your bosom and your feet,
come like a river
filled with drowned men
that meets the furious sea,
the eternal foam, the weather.

Bring them all
where I wait for you:
we shall always be alone,
we shall always be, you and I,
alone upon the earth
to begin life.

And here's a passage from his poem titled "Epithalamium":

...
On the walls the climbing vines
murmured letting
dark leaves fall
as we passed.
You too were a little leaf
that trembled on my chest.
Life's wind put you there.
At first I did not see you: I did not know
that you were walking with me,
until your roots
pierced my chest,
joined the threads of my blood,
spoke through my mouth,
flourished with me.
Thus was your inadvertent presence,
invisible leaf or branch,
and suddenly my heart
was filled with fruits and sounds.
You occupied the house
that darkly awaited you
and then you lit the lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment