Friday, February 28, 2014

Phoenix the Zen Master

My daughter Phoenix has a new habit of explaining herself by not explaining herself beyond the measure of what she seeks. What I mean by this is she'll say "I want a ponytail because I want a ponytail," or "may I have milk because I want milk?" Her lack of qualifying is somewhat refreshing, and it has me thinking--do we justify our needs and wants too much? (Not only to others but to ourselves as well.) Of course the WHY of things is important, but I find her method akin to some kind of Zen detachment, not in the sense that she is seeking to detach from worldly desires, but that she is unstained by thought, which is the hallmark of Buddhist philosophy. She wants something because she wants something = it is because it is. Anyone who knows Phoenix is aware of the fact that she is happy and spunky and light. She's always the life of the party, she's the spark wherever she goes. And maybe part of that is because she doesn't dwell in justifications--she just is and she is unashamed about that. And so I'm thinking maybe we should spend less time analyzing and qualifying and a bit more time just being--for no other reason than that we are.



No comments:

Post a Comment