Wednesday, May 22, 2013

To practice patience

My son Fisher has a secret hideout at the creek near our home. He's always asking to go there to pick up trash, fish with his bug catcher (though I've never seen a fish down there), throw rocks, and generally stomp around. And so we do. Yesterday we were there skipping rocks and splashing around. We found some large leaves and made boats of them, adding flowers and small pebbles and sending them downstream. Like me, he isn't patient. He kept jabbing at the boats with a long stick to send them along faster until I told him to just let them be and watch the water run its course. I love that I can teach my kids life lessons in these small moments. And it is a lesson--let things go. Stop trying to control the way the world unfolds because we can't--this world will lie to us, toy with us, test us. It is full of pretenders. We can only control how we face it. Let it be but don't let it keep you from being.

This year I've gone from a size 6 to a size 0. I have a 6 pack for the first time ever. I didn't intend to, I just liked how it felt to work my body into a sweat every morning--liked how it cleared my mind. It happened because I became patient with every day and didn't become frustrated with the little by little results that were required to bring me here. When I have a knot in my shoe lace the old me would have made it worse by pulling harder at the strings, but now I slow the tugging of my fingers because I know that eventually it will come loose. And it does. What matters is that we are moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment