Saturday, May 25, 2013

To Simplicity


The kids and I started off memorial day weekend with a fire and s'mores. I can't think of anything that excites them more than a good fire. It's true that children embrace simplicity. No matter how many toys litter the floor they still prefer to run barefoot in the grass, to dig for worms and collect rocks, to stomp through puddles, to feel the wind blast their faces, to sit by a fire. Earth, wind, water, fire--are these not the same elements that incite joy at any age? Though I don't enjoy these elements in the same way as my kids, I still enjoy them in a different degree--building a fire, watching the rain, lying in the grass, the wind in my hair. Nothing has changed though everything changes. The root of joy is simple--we are elemental.

No comments:

Post a Comment