Friday, January 3, 2014

Peace and Quiet

Today I awoke at 3 am and it was as if there wasn't a single sound in the world except for the heavy sighs of the dog. And then the kids took turns asking for a drink of water. Even in these quiet hours they want! That's been my week--a constant giver. Yesterday I was interrupted 4 times by them while I was in the shower for 10 minutes. It's no wonder I awoke at 3--my brain told my body it needed some time for peace and quiet and to be aware of it. Though snow covers the ground it's been too cold to do anything with it. And with Phoenix sick all week we've been shut up in the house. But with kids there is no hibernating--it's impossible to mirror the calm of white, the stark silence of chilled wind. Their bodies are not in tune with seasons because there is only one season in a child and that is go! I've found that it is easier on all of us if we do get out of the house daily--it just hasn't been possible of late. So here I am seeking sanity, dreaming of doing, traveling great distance in thoughts so that when they greet the day and start in on their wants it won't seem so loud and inundating. Because the peacefulness we give ourselves blooms within all day like some secret gift. Untouchable by any hands but our own. And how can we be anything to anyone else if we're not in touch with ourselves?

No comments:

Post a Comment