Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Excerpts

Instead of starting my morning with coffee and a thought to expound upon I dug into a book I picked up the other day: Super Brain: Unleashing the Explosive Power of Your Mind to Maximize Health, Happiness, and Spiritual Well-Being by Deepak Chopra and Rudolph Tanzi. I'd been wanting to read this for a while and I feel the pull to fill my mind with books and learning--to make that my focus these days. I mention this because my posts might be sparse for the next few days. I'm doing research for future thoughts! Here are a few excerpts from the first chapter:

"One of the unique things about the human brain is that it can only do what it thinks it can do. The minute you say, 'My memory isn't what it used to be' or 'I can't remember a thing today,' you are actually training your brain to live up to your diminished expectations. Low expectations mean low results. The first rule of super brain is that your brain is always eavesdropping on your thoughts. As it listens, it learns. If you teach it about limitation, your brain will become limited. But what if you do the opposite? What if you teach your brain to be unlimited?"

And in regards to biofeedback loops: "Try the following exercise: Look at the palm of your hand. Feel it as you look. Now imagine that it is getting warmer. Keep looking and focus on it getting warmer; see the color becoming redder. If you maintain focus on this intention, your palm will in fact grow warm and red. Tibetan Buddhist monks use this simple biofeedback loop ... to warm their entire bodies."

Back to reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment