Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Happy New Year

You know that movie Spaceballs when captain Lord Dark Helmet orders for the ship to travel at ludicrous speed? "Sir, ludicrous speed?!" That was 2013 for me. I experienced so many changes, I grew and learned over the course of weekends what I would normally have experienced over the course of a year. A warp speed of revelations. And now I'm coming into the new year with the feeling that I can breathe again. That the ship has returned to its normal speed and Rick Moranis, smashed helmet and all, is saying "smoke if you got 'em!" It wasn't an easy year, but it was necessary. And the fact is I made it through better than ever. Now I am finally in a place where I can kick back and enjoy things as they come. I've found the source to the longing in my heart and I just want to breathe it, to nurture it like a proper season. Live it. Part of my impatience stemmed from not wanting the bad times to linger--I didn't want to drown there. I embrace whatever I am faced with head on, but so much of what I faced wasn't all that great. Until now. It was a rough year for many people I know--strange how often you seem to face hardships at the same time as those close to you, so even in our struggles we aren't alone. My friend Jess and I always seem to be on par with the emotions that life stirs up. So to her and to everyone else who had kind of a crappy year I want to say this--we made it, and we're only better for it. I believe 2014 will be a year where we can "smoke if you got 'em." I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment