Monday, August 26, 2013

A Poem On A Monday

Here's an older poem of mine, and I'm including it today because it reminds me of the feeling I had coming off of this weekend. How our life can begin new again and again. Before I include the poem, I also want to add that the kindness and love extended to me continued on into yesterday as well! My friend Tiffany called to offer me an opportunity for some part time work with her homegrown company, {made} community, where they sell jewelry and other wearables made from sustainable sources. You can find their website HERE. I'll dedicate a future post about Tiffany, but for now here's the poem:

She’s Glad She Didn’t Fix the Blinds

A woman wakes in some part
of the world, a mountain at her back,
a sun sliding through the broken
slit in her blinds, a line across her bed.
She watches, remembers a dream—
walking barefoot over cut glass coating
a street she’d never been on, she blinked
and the glass turned to light, and the street
wasn’t a street, but rolling hills.
She stirs her hand in and out
of the stream of light, then glides
out of bed. She leans
in the sliding glass door in her kitchen,
watches the sun clarify the frost
on her porch, her neighbor’s roof, her mountain.
She hesitates once unbuckling the door
to the cold, her naked feet
on the porch, skin an unexpected
welcome shiver, as if a tiger
flexed around her bones. She walks
to the edge of her lawn, the frosted grass
breaks underfoot, and she doesn’t feel
ridiculous. She senses some core
of herself, a tiny moon, places one hand
on her belly to touch its balance. 
She seals her soft eyes shut, and
when they open, her life begins.

Casey Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment