Thursday, August 8, 2013

Polka Anyone?

I have a new passion I'm going to pursue...playing the accordion. (Bet you didn't see that one coming.) I picked up this beauty yesterday at a pawn shop and she's all mine now. I'm thinking of naming her Cleo or Ruby or Flo. I have no idea how to play--never even held one in my arms before yesterday--but I'm going to learn. A neighbor of mine recently retired and now he's taking guitar lessons. I knew a gentleman in Mankato, MN--a retired plastic surgeon--who was 80 and still learning new languages, still feeding his mind. Nobel Peace Prize winner Desmond TuTu was the commencement speaker at my undergrad graduation and I'll never forget these words he spoke--never allow yourself to be affected by old people's cynicism, go on dreaming, go on being the idealistic people you are. It is something I have always kept to heart, and so with this in mind I'm going to master the accordion and maybe next year I'll be touring with the Decemberists or maybe you'll find me playing on some street corner during the farmer's market or on a stage in New Ulm, MN for Oktoberfest. You can rent me for your party, I'll play the polka and you can dance. There is no limit but that which I deny.


No comments:

Post a Comment