Sunday, August 25, 2013

What A Wonderful World

This weekend is exactly what I needed. My heart is bursting with joy and gratitude. I drove up to Madison to see one of my best friends (sorry you couldn't make it Kristina). I'd felt lonely hearted of late and though I know that we have to be our own source for energy and comfort, to be able to fulfill ourselves, sometimes it is just good to be surrounded by the love of friends and let them build you up. I needed a good talking to and a good hug and I got it. Jessica and I spent hours (15 hours straight to be exact before we crashed out blissfully) spilling our hearts and providing insight for one another.
 Here we are and everything is A-okay. Someone taking our photo suggested we do something with our hands, that people should always do something interesting with their hands--I like that idea.
And another...

Jess wanted me to stay on another night but my neighbor's 40th surprise birthday party was Saturday night and I wanted to be there to celebrate with her. So after little sleep I drove back through the bluffs and plains and farms and though I was tired it was a much better drive than my lonely one the day before. I was reminded of my strength, reminded of the love of friendship, reminded of my belief in myself: I got this...I can do anything. So I returned to Des Moines, made a strong coffee and headed out 30 minutes later to the surprise party. Wherever I have lived I've been blessed with great neighbors, and Jen and her husband Jay are tops. There was good food, drink, and a karaoke machine. I sang some Patsy Cline. I was wrapped in several more hugs and kind words and gratitude and again for the second night in a row had my heart filled. There are so many kind and loving people in the world--let them give you a hand every once in a while. We are only as alone as we let ourselves be, only as loved as we let love in, only as broken or worried or happy or thankful as we allow. I got this. I can do anything.
This morning after waking to the sunrise, doing some writing, and then going out for a run I returned and shot this photo as proof of my glowing, peaceful state. And all day I've been tearing up at scenes of beauty--a young couple walking hand in hand, a mother and a teenage daughter enjoying coffee together, the frenzy of a hummingbird, the daytime moon, the wind, and the recollection of so many sweet people I have had the privilege of knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment