Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A Poem On A Tuesday

I was going to include a few poems by James Wright yesterday, but I got caught up reading them all morning instead. And then my son woke with a fever so my priorities shifted. Had I posted yesterday, these are the poems I would have included:

Lying in a Hammock at William Duffy’s 
Farm in Pine Island, Minnesota

Over my head, I see the bronze butterfly,
Asleep on the black trunk,
Blowing like a leaf in green shadows.
Down the ravine behind the empty house,
The cowbells follow one another
Into the distance of the afternoon.
To my right,
In a field of sunlight between pines,
Two droppings of last year’s horses
Blaze up in golden stones.
I lean back, as evening darkens and comes on.
A chicken hawk floats over, looking for a home.
I have wasted my life.

Today I Was So Happy, So I Made This Poem

As the plump squirrel scampers
Across the roof of the corncrib,
The moon suddenly stands up in the darkness,
And I see that it is impossible to die.
Each moment of time is a mountain.
An eagle rejoices in the oak trees of heaven,
Crying
This is what I wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment