Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Say Something

Is there anything more frustrating than indifference? Detached, impassive, unmindful? There's that line in one of The Lumineers songs that goes "the opposite of love's indifference." There couldn't be a truer definition. In high school I was voted most opinionated so it's no wonder that I find indifference to be such a thorn. But if we are to matter shouldn't things matter to us? And I'm not saying one should be fixed in their ideas but that we should at least gather our thoughts and seek an answer while being open to the fact that that answer can change. And I'm not saying one should find every issue to be of such great importance that it demands a strong opinion. And of course we don't have to agree. I just find it to be a respectful, attractive thing when others express their passions, their ideas and feelings. You don't have to wave them above your head and shout them to the world--though that's fine too--there are lots of ways in which we express ourselves and certainly our personalities shape our expressive forms. I'm not even sure why I'm ranting about this today--the idea came out of nowhere and I went with it. But it helped structure another thought--if we are to matter we should make things matter. I guess what I'm trying to say is say something!

No comments:

Post a Comment