Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Question

So...what do you do? It's the question most often asked during first-time encounters, a question I fear will be asked of me even more so these days. If you ask me this question is a complete cop-out because it is a rare thing when the job a person does really defines them. Some people are blessed with a job that is truly in line with their passion in life but I would venture to say that the majority don't or can't define themselves with the work through which they are compensated. To them the money is a means to pay the bills and to provide the opportunity to follow their true passion. I wonder if the question is asked more often to subconsciously gauge how much money the person makes. It's a conspiracy! I kid. Sort of. I digress...why don't we ask "what would you choose to do," or better yet, "what makes you happy or content or laugh or..." Imagine if someone were to ask you the latter question--wouldn't it make you reflect on who you are in a more intimate manner than then pre-rehearsed answer you would give to what it is that you "do." My problem with "what do you do" is that I find myself rambling off a list of things (stay at home mother, writer, learner, and so on) when I'm sure the one who probed the question is looking for a brief one word answer. As if we can place a person in a tidy little box. As if we are what we are paid to do. As if money is the source for being. I know this question will continue to be asked but I just want to say--lets not stop there.

No comments:

Post a Comment