Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Whatever

Lately I've been thinking about the word 'whatever'. It's one of those words that, given the tone and context, has more than one connotation. Picture Moon Zappa in her father's (Frank Zappa) song titled "Valley Girl" using this word in the way she does other phrases like "like" and "gag me with a spoon." Picture its use after a heated argument and it becomes another way of dismissing the other person. And then there's the Doris Day song "Que Sera, Sera," which goes something like this: "Que sera, sera, whatever will be, will be; the future's not ours to see. Que sera, sera, what will be, will be." It is the latter use of it that I am struck with, that has given me a new appreciation for the word. Isn't it absolutely bewildering and stunning how the universe seems to constantly bring us face to face with obstacles that challenge our weaknesses? It's as if we are confronted repeatedly with the challenge of ourselves until we get it right. Only then can we move on from that cyclical spell. Because we aren't here to remain unchanged in our ways. We are doing a disservice to life if we don't seek to continually grow and improve. I lack patience, which can be a positive attribute when faced with a decision that requires quick thinking, which often means that I don't dally about but rather go after things straight on. But when it comes to matters of the future I need to drop my impatience and just allow things to happen on their own time and to enjoy things as they come. To let go of my desire to figure out what's next and just be in the moment. I think I'll make "Que Sera, Sera" my new anthem song.

No comments:

Post a Comment