Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Some Kind of Web

Yesterday was Fisher's school conference and the first words out of his teacher's mouth were--Fisher is awesome. She went on to say how he made friends with and included everyone, how he was kind and shared, how he had never gotten in trouble, how he was imaginative, how she would love a whole class of Fishers. For the most part he handled any issues with other more aggressive kids on his own, only bringing attention to the teachers a few times. Basically, he uses his words. This is something I discuss with him constantly--use words, explain yourself, share, be kind. We have these discussions because at home with me and his sister he doesn't always do these things--he gets frustrated, argues over toys with Phoenix, doesn't like to pick up the by-products of all his art projects, has to be told 20 times to do things like brush his teeth and get dressed! We are often late. In these struggles I often question if I'm doing enough or doing it right. But clearly he is proving himself in the world at large. Why is it kids are so much better behaved with others? Come to think of it, aren't we all? For the most part I don't take his outbursts at home to heart because to me it shows that he can trust me, that he feels safe to experience and express the gamut of emotions he needs to work through. So it is an honor even though it isn't always easy. At some level things are sticking. I've been surprised and blessed with people letting me know how much they look forward to reading my blog posts. Some folks have even contacted me to let me know that my words have helped them work through the things they are facing in their own lives. I appreciate when people reach out like this because it offers that same kind of glance at how we indirectly connect with and affect others. There's got to be a phrase for this--something that includes the words "web" and "intention". I want to say that even if we can't see it, things are always happening. No matter how lonely you feel your outreach is greater than you can imagine. We are not isolated, but rather quite beautifully interconnected.
Took the kids out to lunch to celebrate Fisher's good work at school. He, of course, chose Big City Burgers.

No comments:

Post a Comment