Saturday, November 30, 2013

Black Friday

I'm not into crowds unless we're talking concerts. I've never gone shopping on Black Friday because I don't like to witness the ugly side of consumerism--and it can get ugly. But I can get behind events that support local crafters, which is what I did yesterday, selling bracelets for my friend Tiffany's company, {made} community, at the Market Day event in the downtown Des Moines Kirkwood building. The lobby itself is worth the visit--original art deco and gorgeous. There were 70 crafters from the midwest selling their goods and it was busy. It was good to see such support for local handmade products--good to see people ditching the malls and big box stores to make it down. So many beautiful people out there! I ran into some friends and one of them asked me if it bothered me to hear stories of others happy in their marriages now that my marriage has ended. It's a fair question. Honestly, it doesn't at all I told her. For one, I am happy with my own lot these days. And also, because I truly believe that this life I am living, the events that occur, are meant to be so there is no feeling of "why me?" Everything I face is teaching me something I was meant to learn. Whatever is happening is what is supposed to happen, so how could I be anything but open to it, anything but thankful for the experience that shapes character. And as the crowd at Market Day reminded me, there are so many beautiful people out there! Some come and go from our lives, some stay--no matter the course I feel blessed for the markings of their beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment