Monday, July 22, 2013

A Poem On a Monday

As promised, here's my poem about farms--how everything that grows is a slice of the countryside, how everything that happens out there becomes part of the earth. I was inspired some years ago while driving on a rural highway past farm after farm when the idea that my presence and the exhaust from my car and the music I was listening to and the birds I saw perched on fences--all of it was impacting the atmosphere that grows the food we eat and thus to eat is to bring that atmosphere into your body. The idea struck me so much that I pulled over and wrote the bones of this poem. It was previously published in Harpar Palate. Here goes:

What’s On a Plate

All meals have the earth in
common, whole landscapes
for breakfast, lunch. This is
what it means to eat: a well
at Parson’s farm, rust from
rain on silo roofs, doe blood
from a barbed wire fence;
gravity pushes all things in
to the dirt. We eat from there.
Radio towers out in the country,
words on waves in the ground now,
a tractor’s red reflectors, wind
chimes, the breath of all who
pass by. The earth must
harbor breath from 20 years
ago. My eyelash is in the soil
somewhere too. There are
dreams in the country and who
knows what cows dream. 
Oak and dog bark and wild noise,
there probably has never been
a time when wind and four legs stood
still. Midnight and 5 am, lonely hours. 
There’ve been bruises and sweet talk,
cigarette butts and an unstrung aura
that binds itself to dirt and the heads
of everyone who’s ever been,
all of it gets folded in. And bare
feet from daughters running
perpendicular away from it all.
The prints do not trace back.


Casey Lord

No comments:

Post a Comment