Thursday, July 18, 2013

Lessons From Bugs

I remember once sitting near some potted flowers of various colors and as I looked closely I saw a handful of tiny bugs--ones I've never seen before and couldn't name. What was interesting was that each bug crawled around on its comparative color. There was an orange bug on an orange petal, a green bug on a stem, a white one on a white flower, and so on. Each instinctively camouflaging itself right there in front of me. It was amazing to witness the delicate workings of nature--how something so small is a window to that vast network of natural law. And think of cicadas. They live underground for 17 years. This year they are expected to emerge by the billions on the east coast. 17 years! Think of what you've done with your life in that frame--almost the length of time a parent has their kids living with them. We are not all that different from even these tiny wonders of nature are we? Don't we gravitate towards like-minded people? Don't we sometimes camouflage ourselves as an avoidance mechanism? And don't we spend years loving and learning and building our lives to bring us to this moment? Every hardship I've faced has given me the strength I need now. And we can look back and see how the events and relationships we've experienced had purpose in bringing us here. As if so many things were meant to happen just so.

No comments:

Post a Comment