Friday, July 26, 2013

To Share

All my life I've felt a bit like a hermit--like there's always a part of me that's alone and distant even in the midst of a crowd. I don't think this is an abnormal feeling as I'm sure a lot of people feel this way. There are a few people in my life that I feel wholly myself with. But I'm trying to change that, trying to be wholly myself with everyone I meet because I want honest and richer encounters. If we are to mean anything doesn't that command an audience? As social creatures don't we need to share? Think of how inspiring it is to be around inspiring people. Think of how people can challenge you to do better or to discover a new way of thinking. I often wonder if we would do half of the things we do if there was no one to tell it to, no one to witness. It's as if it is ingrained in us to try to please and impress. Because if we didn't think of all the inventions and discoveries the world would have missed out on--all the music and art and films. All the words. There is so damn much to learn and experience and feel in this world that we need others to fill in the gaps we have missed or don't have time for. We need to share. The more I live the more I realize how basic things are. Sharing and the company you keep are the hallmarks of lessons we teach our kids. Interesting how often we forget these basic lessons as adults, as if there are more important lessons to hold to. But things don't have to be so complicated--share of yourself and surround yourself with people who inspire you to be better. And in this one can come to a greater sense of self.

No comments:

Post a Comment