Sunday, July 14, 2013

For Amy

Since today is the day that my friend Amy is shipping off to Iraq, I'd like to dedicate this post to her. For the next several months she will by flying in a helicopter to help rescue and nurse the wounds of the injured. Amy and I go way back--picture pig tails, mud pies, banana seat bike rides, and lots of dancing. Our parents were tight, so we spent most weekends at one or the other's house, often sleeping over. We were so close we even had the same dream about a gorilla and we woke up in fits at the same moment. We used to sit in our parents' cars and imagine we were driving to California, picking up hitchhiking twin boys. Time and teenage trials drew us further apart, and once high school ended years went by without contact. We maybe only saw each other twice in a decade. But we carry our childhood with us no matter the year and so part of me always counted her as a friend. We both wound up in Des Moines two years ago and we met up again. Nothing had changed between us though we had changed. I remember being in awe of her--her stories and her demeanor, her strength and her tact. She's one of the best listeners I know, she's present, she's funny, and she speaks from her heart. No wonder she has so many people who love her. So I ask everyone reading this to picture Amy, to hold her in your mind so that she may carry your hope and gratitude with her through all those days and nights that she's away on the other side of the world. It doesn't matter if you support the war or if you pray or have certain politics--just wish this life well. And while you're at it, send that same kindness to her family who will be walking around as half of themselves until Amy returns home. I love you Amy, and I feel so fortunate that we have reconnected. You are amazing and I hope that your every step is done with great care.

1 comment:

  1. Best wishes for safe travels and return to your friend as well as her family.

    ReplyDelete