Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Aren't We Strange

I don't watch much TV these days but when I do I search for shows that highlight our quirks. Did you know in England some years ago extreme ironing was all the rage? Some adventurer decided to combine the mundane task of ironing clothes with his love of rock climbing, surfing, and skydiving. It became a quest to see who could get the best photo op of themselves ironing in the most bizarre and random places. Because who doesn't like to go spelunking while smoothing out the wrinkles in a dress shirt? There are several shows that follow people who enter eating contests--they'll proudly display the gold-plated spoon they won for eating the most ice cream in 60 seconds, share their tips for devouring in record time. There are extreme couponers, hoarders, doomsdayers, parkourers... I think that's what I find most fascinating--how people get so extremely into their decided passions and how quirky these passions can be. I don't feel like I take anything to an extreme, though I admire people who do. I'm more of a bits and pieces type--there is so much out there to know and do and I take what works for me and move on to the next. And too, watching these shows reminds me how vast the world is as there is no one I know who partakes in any of these aforementioned activities. It makes me see the world like a painting by Dali--strange, surprising, surreal. I like to observe people and imagine what their quirks are, what they are hiding. And this doesn't come from a place of judgment but rather genuine curiosity. I guess I've always sought to be surprised by people, to be captured by the unexpected, to be struck with wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment