Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Don't Read the Reviews

A friend invited me to the movie Much Ado About Nothing last Sunday. I knew it was a title of a Shakespeare play, but I didn't read the reviews, didn't know what I was in for. I just assumed it would be a modern tale loosely based on the classic story, so when it started I was taken aback--it was literally in the words of Shakespeare, following the play to a T but in a modern setting. The surprise of not knowing only added to the experience as it was more fresh and captivating to my mind. If I had read the reviews I wouldn't have experienced the film in the same way as invariably others' opinions would have influenced my own, would have taken a seat in my mind and steered my thoughts. One of my favorite lines from the film goes "shall quips and sentences and these paper bullets of the brain awe a man from the career of his humor? No. The world needs peopled." What struck me was not just the beautiful string of words but the idea that the mouths of critics should not prevent us from forging our own way. Yes the world needs critics, needs planners, but maybe it's best to turn your ear and jump with your heart fully--listening to their reviews after you've had your way, and only then not to change your opinion but to use it as a source to build on, to shine a light on what you might have overlooked, essentially to progress. I remember going to a laser light show in high school, thinking all the while it was going to be set to Pink Floyd. So when I sat down and Aerosmith was brought to life with those lights I was shocked--I kept thinking Pink Floyd would come on at any minute. But after a while I just sat back and enjoyed what was in front of me. And then towards the end of the show the screen went black for a moment and the words "hi casey" appeared through the dark. I looked back and saw that a guy from my school was working the lights. It was a surprise that can only come from not knowing. The only constant in our lives is change and I vow to face it with this same kind of clear mindedness, awaiting to see what surprises unfold. I want the serendipity that comes with not reading the reviews.

1 comment: