Saturday, July 13, 2013

Randoms

One of the most beautiful places I've ever been is Cinque Terre on the Italian Riviera. Showed up without a place to stay and found the tourist center, where the woman there hooked us up with a lady named Maria. Maria spoke no English, not that I assume that of people, it's just interesting to try to negotiate renting a flat from someone when you speak different languages. The place was huge: two bedrooms and a large kitchen that led to a patio fringed with lemon trees. Maria took our passports and tucked them into the waistline of her pantyhose and we didn't see her again until the morning we left and she handed us our passports, extracting them from the same place. We spent days clinging to cliffs, hiking the old goat path that connects the 5 villages, like scabs where the mountains met the sea. At one point on the trail etched in stone was this: Fuck you Americans. You are not welcome here until you abolish the death penalty like every other civilized country. The best meal was on the beach with a bottle of wine and some cheese and salami. No glasses or plates or knives and forks. We made sure to buy a screw top bottle.

I have a confession--I am a little bit hooked on playing computer games. I've gone through stages of playing solitaire, mejong delta, candy crush, and recently Smurf's Village. I'll play every day for weeks and wake up one day and not play it and never play it again.

I've been writing songs. I wrote my first one a couple months ago and now I have a whole album of them.

Don't let a day go by without asking who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment