Monday, October 7, 2013

A Poem On A Monday

A friend recently gave me a book of poems by Leonard Cohen for my birthday, and here are a few of my favorites from the collection (Book of Longing):

CLOCKWORK

the crow knows
exactly where to sit
on the yellow bench

the wave
exactly where to break

the jaw that will not
unclench
is fastened perfectly
to the writer's skull

future generations
come like clockwork
under the damp
cement arches

to include themselves
in the well-recorded
afternoon

THE SWEETEST LITTLE SONG

You go your way
I'll go your way too

REPORT TO R.S.B.

Peace did not come into my life.
My life escaped
           and peace was there.
Often I bump into my life,
trying to catch its breath,
pay a bill,
or tolerate the news,
tripping as usual
over the cables
          of someone's beauty -
My little life:
so loyal,
so devoted to its obscure purposes -
And, I hasten to report,
doing fine without me.

No comments:

Post a Comment