Sunday, October 6, 2013

An Unplanned Trip

Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first) but I've had about enough of doing nothing and I have a daughter who's almost 3 and in need of bedroom furniture (she's still in her crib) so I just decided upon waking that I'm going to drive up to IKEA in Minneapolis today. I can hobble around pretty decently without my crutches now, and since the weather isn't noteworthy and cars have the convenience of cruise control I think it will be fine. I don't like to beat around the bush and I don't like to wait for things--I go after it. In my mind the best kind of trips are the ones that are last minute and unplanned. Yes, I agree with that P alliterated phrase that "proper planning prevents piss poor performance" but I don't believe this is the hallmark of every action, especially when it comes to adventure. Sometimes you just need to follow the notions that balloon in your mind. Carpe diem and all that. What do you miss when you don't? And what do you miss when you do? In either case you don't miss anything so long as you remain positive and optimistic--there is only gaining. Maybe I'll meet someone there who will alter my life. Maybe my kids will see a thing of beauty out the window as we drive and that will forever soften their hearts. All I know is when they wake up we are going to get around and hit the road, singing at the top of our lungs and burying the land in our eyes as we glide north on the spine-like interstate. Happy Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment