Sunday, October 13, 2013

Mysterious Things

I was short on time yesterday morning so not only was my post riddled with errors but I forgot to include this story: my cousin James Beard had lived for years and years in Kansas City and St. Louis, hours from his folks (Jim and Gloria) who lived in Knoxville, IA. Last May he was laid off from his job in St. Louis and so he moved in with his parents to search for work. I'm sure at the time he was frustrated and stressed--who wouldn't be--but after all those years away and only seeing his parents over holidays and in spurts he had all summer and into the fall with them. Jim was a season ticket holder to the Knoxville Sprint Car track and so father and son attended every race together this summer. They had lunch weekly at Jim's favorite little restaurant. They had time. Now that Jim has passed away, I imagine James has a whole new take on leaving his job in St. Louis. I can't help but think it is no coincidence, no random event that brought James home. It was nothing but a blessing, nothing short of a beautiful mystery.

And the reason I was short on time yesterday morning was because I had to be in Iowa City at 9 am. My friend Tiffany had asked me if I'd be interested in attending a day long Reiki training class and my response was why not. Some new road to follow and learn from. I'd had Reiki done to me once and it left me feeling calm and full of energy but I really didn't know much about it. Not at all. And so I arrived and we (6 attendees) learned about the history of Reiki, and how it was done, and what it meant. The two teachers held PHDs as well as other titles and they were simply amazing--funny, sweet, light-hearted, unpretentious. I felt completely comfortable and at home with everyone there. It felt right. Since it was training and the point was that I was going to walk away from it knowing how to perform Reiki on others, I had my body "attuned". I'm not sure what they did, but it only took 10 minutes and it involved one of them placing their hands on various points of my head, neck, shoulders, and hands. With my eyes closed I saw the whitest of light and I felt a warm wave-like sensation pulse through my shoulders up to the crown of my head. It is this process that apparently enables one to perform Reiki. While sitting silently and waiting for the others to get it done I had the strangest sensation--it was as if a string was pulling the crown of my head and I, slouching, felt compelled to sit upright, which I did. It felt like a rod had been placed in my back--I'd never had such impeccable posture and I'm telling you that sensation has lasted. And this too--when it was our time to practice Reiki on a partner (I had Tiffany) I felt this buzz in my hands turn on and it didn't stop until I was finished. I felt a warm pulse as I held my hands over her chakra points, felt the pull to linger over certain areas longer than others (I was specifically drawn to her knee and when it was over she told me she had a lot of pain in that spot). Tiff worked on me then and spent so much time on my feet she began to wonder if she was doing it right, so she snagged the teacher. The teacher noted that there was a lot of old painful energy at my feet and together they worked at clearing out that space. My feet went from feeling burning hot to cool and light. When it was over it felt like I'd had the best foot massage of my life and they hadn't even touched them. The whole experience was incredible and I drove home, my body utterly singing with peacefulness. Thank you for inviting me Tiff! I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment