Monday, June 24, 2013

A Poem on a Monday

Here are some more photos taken by the lovely Tana...



And what Monday would be complete without a poem. Since last night marked the peak of the supermoon--even though rain here prevented us from viewing it--I'll include one of my own poems that includes the moon image. Have I mentioned before that I wake up most days around 4 am? There is nothing like waking up to the stars and feeling like you have the whole town to yourself--it gives my days center, a kind of secret gift. Everything in this poem is true.

I Wake With the Stars

Yesterday a dozen owls rounding the tree top air
in the still-dark. Their quiet diving and lone hooting
took root so that all day their presence bloomed. Now
the moon is the color of a peach and huge, sinking
over the hills as a claim to beginnings – its light
illuminates the table and I think now the table
is the moon and of course now I am
the moon. The things we carry.

My daughter Phoenix sings of clouds.
I want to be in a cloud, she says. I want to fly
but I don’t have wings. And because she’s two
she adds maybe someday. Because I am a mother,
because I carry a moon inside my ribs – because
I’m trying to embrace the thought that surrendering
to joy doesn’t mean the world will come
crashing down – I say yes, someday, and I believe it.

Casey Lord

1 comment:

  1. :) Thanks for the shout out Casey! LOVE your blog and I read it daily! Little caveat to these pics - no color correction just yet! In case anyone wondered if the cuties pictured above had come down with a case of the greens ;)

    ReplyDelete