Tuesday, June 4, 2013

On My Mind

I believe we are all walking around with two minds. One in our heads full of facts and figures, ideas and the illusion of reality. It's all business. It tells our body how to function, to avoid hot stoves and jagged cliffs, dark alleyways. And the other mind resides in our hearts. It is our heart. The stuff of dreams, our sense of mattering. The second mind is all feeling. That mind is filled with sunsets and sweet words. I can actually feel that mind thinking--making my chest warm and flutter when my kids say I love you out of the blue, when I speak with a beautiful friend, when I dance or hear an owl or gaze at the moon. The meaning of life is not something tangible you can fit in a box and hold in your hands. We are here to feel, to love and learn and make. So giving heed to the second mind brings meaning. But what to do when these minds don't mesh? Sometimes our hearts have to play catch-up to the reality of our brains. Our heart wants what our brain knows is a far cry--uncertain or impossible. We thank the stars for having felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment