Saturday, June 29, 2013

Randoms

Driving home at sunset last night on a country road my 4 year old Fisher had this to say: why do all the people and houses and corn and grass and trees eat the sun...the blood of the sun. And minutes later, you think up your dream and the more you think the more it grows. I'm raising a thinker here. Often when we're driving he's so quiet, staring hard out the window and so I'll ask him what he's thinking about. Sometimes he'll wait a while to answer, as if not wanting to break the line of this thoughts, and when he does answer it blows me away, catches my heart. He and Phoenix are in their aunt Kelly's wedding today (ring bearer and flower girl), so last night was the rehearsal. Here's a hint of how that went:


The always-up-or-a-party-never-follow-authority Phoenix, and Fisher the thinker. 

I'm sure I mentioned in some other post that the best starry sky I have seen was in Pecos Valley, but just this morning I remembered the one that trumps it. I was on the Island of Caye Caulker off Belize eating dinner with my feet in the sand when the power went out on the entire island. No man-made light pollution for miles and miles. It was like sitting in an open-air cave--so black, and the only light at all in that world was the bowl of stars above. 30 minutes passed like this, and when the lights flickered back in their exposing way I started talking to the owner of the restaurant where I was seated. He had been a high power suit on wall street and took a rare vacation to the island some years back. He decided he liked the person he was on that island more than the person he was in NYC, so he quit his job and moved there. I admire people like this--people who take risks to live by their own time and not the whims of society.

It's odd that I think the water from the bathroom faucet tastes different than the one in the kitchen. Amazing how our views can change our tastes even when the product is the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment