Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Re-cap

I didn't post yesterday because I was driving home from Minneapolis, at one point following a car with SOBSTRY on their license plates, where I was awed by the performance of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs at First Ave and where I had the following encounters...
My buddy from grad school, Derek Tellier (Tellier for short) and I had a drink and eats before the show. Sitting next to us on a patio was a guy with a camera and so I asked him what kind of pictures he like to take. His answer was portraits and that the thing he loves about photography is the control and capture of time. He's all about the mechanics of photography having grown up under the hood of a car. He used to love speed. That changed when he was in a car accident--flipping end over end 4 times. I asked him what went through his mind then and he said it was just a pause and then I am alive. He was fine, but now he prefers to  slow things down. I wonder if he does so because he is forever trying to capture that moment where his life paused--to live in that space that is so like the moment frozen in the click of a camera. Then we talked about the cruelty of the world--me trying to explain that the cruelty can be an awakening gift and it's just a matter of perspective and then we left and I'll never see him again.

Standing out front of First Ave, I noticed one of the stars read Lifter Puller. Never heard of them and what an odd name I said to Tellier. At that moment a girl passed by and said hey, they're my friends! She gave me their story.

Karen O rocked the show, played my favorite songs, wore an awesome Jackson 5 shirt, and got the crowd keyed up, my chest fisting and swelling with the thrill of it all. Someone, noticing my friend's bear claw necklace, told him if I were you I would totally wear that. And on our way out I saw a guy wearing a suit, which I complimented. He said thanks, it's like wearing pajamas. He'd just gotten off a flight from London where he had the best weekend of his life and he wanted to be cozy on the flight. Then he left to try to make out with Karen O.

We went to a rooftop deck after the show and chatted with some more suits--two gentlemen with ties tossed over their shoulders as if some great wind blew, shoes off, feet propped up on the ledge, toasting the Blackhawks Stanley Cup win. Then we walked to the sculpture park and took some pictures before getting kicked out and taking a taxi back to Tellier's. I had been up for nearly 24 hours, capturing as much time as I could fit before my eyes shut.


No comments:

Post a Comment