Saturday, June 1, 2013

Randoms

I have a thing for wind. I love the feel of it flexing its endless muscles across my skin and making me feel more alive. I love how it is relentless and at times ruthless. I love knowing that the wind is a force in the world, traveling great distances, and thinking about all the people who tilted their faces in it and breathed it in. It could come from anywhere. The wind is a way for the world to give us a nudge--it asks: who are you and what are you doing with your life? On a windy day I like to sit outside and feel the peace of it washing through me. It is enough to make me happy. If you sit in tall prairie grass and close your eyes and listen to the wind threading through you will think you are sitting by the ocean. When the gusts are strong it makes me giddy with the absurdity--there is no way to control it or make it stop so stop fighting it. I like to be wind-blown; let it dry my hair when it is wet. And I especially love driving with the windows down, the music extra loud so I can hear it over the torrent of the wind barreling through the car. Today I'll be driving to Kansas City to check out The Lumineers concert tonight. My window will be down and I'll be alone, singing at the top of my lungs. I awoke at 4 am here on a street in Iowa, and tonight after seeing hundreds of new faces and hearing live music I'll go to sleep on some bed in a different city. Love these kind of long-winded days.

No comments:

Post a Comment