Friday, June 14, 2013

Too Much Talk

I have a tendency to be lazy. Not sit on the couch doing nothing lazy but more of the not finishing what I start variety. I've had so many great ideas over the years, many of which I start to follow, but often I don't follow through. I don't know why that is. Maybe I'm just too impatient to take the required time, maybe I lacked the confidence, maybe another idea came along and took up more prominent residence. I once spent days reading all the names of cities and towns in the atlas. Can you imagine telling people you were from Cocoa, Thunderbolt, Fawnskin, Flowery Branch, or Social Circle? There are so many interesting town names and I thought it'd be cool to have a series of poems composed entirely of only these names. I wrote only one and here's a taste:

Bald Eagle Circle Fishkill,
Carefree Skull Valley Buffalo,
Blue Grass, Blue Hills, Sparrow Bush.

Black Rock Divide Elbow Lake,
Three Rivers Spur New Roads. 

Black Horse Gallup, Pound
Big Stone Gap, Blowing Rock,
Blue Ash. What Cheer Lame Deer—

Salt Lick.  

I've started a novel and a screenplay, started stories, started knitting, started a whole heck of a lot. I've had several ideas for children's books. I imagine it would all be quite amazing. I wonder if part of the problem is that I talk about my ideas. I mean it is helpful to discuss your dreams with others but I wonder if talking about them too much prevents me from actually doing. The talk can plant seeds of uncertainties and also make the idea grow to a point that seems daunting. And if I already construct the big picture in my mind then it takes away the delight of the process. So I'm going with that notion and I'm vowing to be a better doer. Enough said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment