Saturday, June 8, 2013

Randoms

Yesterday I downloaded Patsy Cline's greatest hits and sang my heart out while pulling weeds as Fisher dug for worms. When the work was done we sat in the yellow sun and shared a bowl of cherries.

I must have been feeling nostalgic for the music of my childhood. Those days were filled with Patsy Cline, Neil Diamond, Donna Summers, Michael Jackson, and Prince. All on vinyl of course. I grew up dancing.

With all of the moves over the years I'm not sure I could place it but somewhere I own a slide projector as well as a slew of slides of some couple's Hawaiian vacation from the 60s. I used to play those slides in the background of gatherings while in college. That unknown couple could have never fathomed that 40 years later the evidence of their trip would be on display in my apartment.

There is no way of knowing what places will mean to us over the stretch of years. I didn't grow up in Des Moines, but I was here enough to pass by the street I now call home, the parks we visit, the school where my children will attend. There's no other way to say it--it's an amazing thing.

My father who rarely gives heart-to-hearts but prefers jokes and silence and the immediate once gave me advice when I most needed it and which has stuck with me. He said "Casey, you'll look back and realize this time is just an inch of your life."

After I posted my thoughts on old photographs yesterday, I couldn't stop thinking about a poem by William Stafford titled An Archival Print. Here's the link to read it: http://www.phys.unm.edu/~tw/fas/yits/archive/stafford_anarchivalprint.html

No comments:

Post a Comment